About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Another dressy dress from Sew Chic

This pattern and fabric have been in my stash for too long!  How long is too long?  For at least a year! I hate it when I have what could be a fab garment sitting in a pile somewhere and I simply just can't get to it.

The perfect opportunity came up when SPR announced the contest called 'New To Me Pattern Contest.'  I've never made up a pattern by Laura Nash at Sew Chic before and I must say that I am quite smitten! She has some nice vintage styles and the fit is fabulous!  I didn't have to make hardly any alterations to get this to fit how I wanted.

Here are some images of the dress from the Sew Chic site:  I love it both fabrics!  This dress is called the Beatrice  The pattern number is LN1310.



The fabric I used is a floral brocade with metallic threads running through it.  I wish I would remember what I paid for it, but I do remember it being a bargain.  I also have to admit I wasn't smitten with it when I purchased it (the fabric) and fully intended on this being my muslin.  I like it so much, that this is now my wearable muslin.


 
Basically this is a sheath dress with sleeves and kangaroo pockets.  There is piping at the waistline that is a nice accent.  The neckline is what drew me to the pattern in the first place.  It's classy, modest, unique.  The zipper is at the side seam and the pattern calls for a lapped zip but I used an invisible one.  There is a very functional dart at the elbow as well as front and back darts to let you get the shaping necessary for a good fit.  Just the bodice is lined.




This isn't a pattern for beginners with the fitting and the finishing details that must be completed in order to get a quality garment.  I made sure that I matched up the motifs running down the center front, back, and at the pockets.  How many RTW garments don't have that detail?


My brocade is a little heavier than perhaps the pattern called for, so my only real modification was to not only line the bodice, but then to cut facings in the main fabric and apply those to the neckline.  I couldn't get the lining to not slightly show on the garment right side, which I assume was due to the weight differences.  Since I created the facings, I ended up hand-stitching those in place along the inside where I attached them to the lining pieces all around the neckline.  Speaking of hand-stitching, I hand hemmed the sleeves and lower hem.  I love hand-stitching, it is cathartic and really makes a great looking garment!
  

Fitting this garment was actually easy!  Normally I make an FBA.  With this dress I didn't need one. I ended up having to take in the bust darts and lengthen them.  This never. ever. happens!  I made my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment and instead of a sloping shoulder adjustment, I added 1/4" shoulder pads.  Everything else is sewn as is on the pattern.



I really love my dress and I will most likely wear it with dressier boots or shoes, but with all the snow we've had and the fact my soon-to-be-daughter-in-law stopping over, I decided to take the opportunity to have her snap some photos of me wearing it.  Just look at that neckline, isn't it beautiful?

                              

Thanks for reading.  The more I use Indy patterns, the more I love them!  Are you with me on this?
Sue :)  


11 comments:

  1. Another beautiful fitted dress Sue. Lovely details, and I think that the fabric you chose for it is perfect. And of course it is wonderfully constructed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much thornberry! I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress Sue. Beautiful neckline and wonderful fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I really like this dress and am very proud of it!

      Delete
  3. The neckline *is* gorgeous. It's the subtle little touches like an elegant, unusual neckline that take this dress from "serviceable" to "stunning"! I always pay attention to what you are sewing as I think we might have a similar body type although perhaps I am a smidge taller (I am 5'9"). You are also a much more productive sewist than your lazy admirer in CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! You are a smidge taller than me--about 2 inches. This dress would fit you well! You make me laugh and I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  4. The neckline *is* gorgeous. It's the subtle little touches like an elegant, unusual neckline that take this dress from "serviceable" to "stunning"! I always pay attention to what you are sewing as I think we might have a similar body type although perhaps I am a smidge taller (I am 5'9"). You are also a much more productive sewist than your lazy admirer in CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS Sue!!!!

    You did an excellent job and the fabric is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely! That neckline is quite a nice touch. I enjoy hand sewing as well; I find it very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernice! Sometimes hand sewing is therapeutic and other times I get annoyed, but this time it worked! :) Happy sewing!

      Delete